A woman who had a nasty wake-up call at her boyfriend’s apartment has now filed a lawsuit. A University student was sleeping at her boyfriend’s place near the college campus last summer when somehow, in the middle of the night, she tumbled out of bed and out the nearby upstairs window.
The student fell three floors to the ground below, suffering fractures to her pelvis, tailbone and lower back. Now she is suing the company that owns the building for $230,000 to cover her medical expenses and other costs associated with the pain she has suffered.
In her lawsuit she alleges “Unreasonable risk of harm.” She claims the windows should have been fitted with a guard which would have stopped her from falling. The suit also states the property owner and property manager knew or should have known of its duties to protect tenants and their guests from conditions that create an unreasonable risk of harm.
She is seeking up to $80,000 for medical costs and $150,000 for pain and suffering. The lawsuit does not explain how she came to fall. It says she was sleeping in a bed near an open window on July 27, 2014. Police were called to the apartment complex on at 4:48 a.m. and found her on the sidewalk, in a lot of pain and having difficulty breathing. She was rushed to hospital as she had suffered fractures to her pelvis, tailbone and lower back
This law suit is considered extremely rare as most victims who fall out of windows are five-years-old or younger.
Submitted By: betty on July 29, 2015
I went to my drycleaner’s shop today and asked why they have a new unfinished door. The employee explained that an elderly lady had backed into the door, breaking it, and causing structural damage. The employee said that their claims adjuster told her the elderly woman was injured and was trying to get the shop’s insurance to pay for her injuries. Now, that’s a crazy insurance claim!
Submitted By: Nokaoi on July 29, 2015
A mother of a child filed a lawsuit against a pre-school, claiming her child was injured when digging in the sand box in the pre-school yard. Witnesses testified at depositions that the mother buried items in the sand for her child to dig up. The item which caused the child’s injury, a toy soldier with a sharp edge, caused the child’s injury. The mother admitted that the toy belonged to her child and she buried it. The lawsuit was dismissed. The adjuster handling this insurance claim for the pre-school thought this was the craziest claim she ever handled.
Submitted By: SoftKitty on July 24, 2015
A woman with severe learning disabilities has been awarded a settlement of $650,000.00 Euros after her family sued a hospital in England whose nursing staff broke a doll that the patient believed was her own child. The patient had fallen at home and went to the hospital for treatment from the fall.
The 64 year old patient with severe learning disabilities took her beloved doll everywhere with her, lovingly dressing her up in baby clothes from a large suitcase of baby clothes she had. She had a real baby buggy that she pushed the doll in as well as a real cot for her to sleep in. She believed the baby was her real child.
The family of the patient alleges the hospital staff dismembered and tortured the doll in front of the patient because she was not doing what she was told. The doll was found on the floor with missing clothes, missing hair and severed limbs. The nurses knew exactly what that doll meant to her, and they tortured it right in front of her eyes.
The patient is now heart broken and is a recluse.
The family had a replica of the doll made for her but she won’t touch it and she won’t go near it. They also have alleged that the patient received inadequate hygienic care stemming from neglect and abuse.
The hospital denied all allegations but, then offered to replace the doll but, the mental damage to the patient had been done. The high courts in London awarded the large settlement.
Submitted By: laird on July 21, 2015
Claimant slipped on a dryer sheet at our insured commercial laundromat, claiming injury. Our investigation revealed that Claimant had slipped and fell on dryer sheets in public places 14 times previously! After we found that out, we got the insured’s surveillance tape and saw Claimant pull a dryer sheet out of her purse and drop it onto the floor before she fell. We denied that insurance claim. The adjuster thought it was crazy!
Submitted By: Insanity on July 19, 2015
A tractor-trailer crashed in Alabama because the driver lost control while he was pulling one of his teethI
Alabama Highway Patrol says the truck driver told troopers he had taken his hands off the wheel to pull a loose tooth when he wrecked. The crash report states: “He had the tooth in his shirt pocket as proof.” The tractor-trailer veered off the interstate and into a ditch and smashed into a tree. The single vehicle crash shut down a stretch of interstate for about 11 hours Authorities say the 57-year-old driver wasn’t seriously injured.
What a crazy insurance claim that must have been to read!
Submitted By: Jefferson on July 17, 2015
The family of a 22-year-old laborer who state investigators said died of carbon monoxide poisoning after stepping into the back of a truck to defecate in a bucket has filed a $4 million lawsuit against the dead man’s former employer.
The bucket was the only on-the-job “toilet” option given to the employees of a home maintenance company, according to the lawsuit. The bucket was kept in the back of an enclosed work truck, next to a gas-powered power washer that spewed colorless and odorless carbon monoxide into the air.
In 2014 his co-workers found him dead in the back of the truck, according to the suit. The suit describes the company’s toilet option for workers — the bucket — as “demeaning, debasing and dehumanizing.”
The lawsuit claims the company told Lane and other workers to use the bucket if they needed to relieve themselves while pressure washing and cleaning gutters at customers’ homes.
An initial autopsy determined the employee died from meth use, while a follow-up autopsy found that he died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The OSHA report also found that the pressure washer, which was bolted to the floor of the truck’s enclosed cargo area, took less than a minute to fill the truck with toxic levels of carbon monoxide.
The lawsuit claims that management of the company knew that the employee had irritable bowel syndrome, which caused him to use the restroom unexpectedly and frequently. According to OSHA’s investigation, on the day he died, the nearest public restroom was an eight-minute drive.
For most jobs, reasonable access to toilet facilities is an OSHA requirement.
Submitted By: Jefferson on July 15, 2015
A heartbroken woman sued a restaurant, alleging bad service on Valentine’s Day. Plaintiff’s lawsuit accused the restaurant of refusing to serve her a solo dinner on Valentine’s Day. In her complaint. She demanded a public apology and $100,000, Plaintiff claimed that when she arrived by herself (she’d made reservations for two, but her husband decided not to join her), the restaurant ignored her, refused to take her order, and wouldn’t permit her to order to-go. A representative of the restaurant claimed that they offered her a seat at the bar with other single diners, but Plaintiff just left without paying for two glasses of wine. A nominal offer was made by the restaurant’s insurance company to settle the case, but it is still pending.
Submitted By: Crazy on July 12, 2015
Enter to Win Crazy Gift Cards -- Up to $100.00! You would be Crazy not to submit your bizarro claims stories for the chance to win up to $100.00 in gift cards if your story is laugh out loud funniest, cringe-worthiest or craziest. Submit your Crazy claims today -- just make sure not to use any real names of people or companies. You could be a winner!